The American Library Association will present a Presidential Citation for International Innovation in the Year 2008 to Te Rōpū Whakahau - Māori in Libraries and Information Management
The award will be presented on Monday 30 June for:
- Planning and hosting the first International Indigenous Librarians Forum in 1999;
- Collaborating with other indigenous librarians around the world to insure that the Forum continues to take place every other year;
- Serving as an energetic, creative, and lively international model for how to navigate and negotiate an indigenous presence at the national library level;
- Supporting the recruitment, education, and placement of Māori into the fields of librarianship;
- Creating and extending bilingual services to Māori library patrons and staff.